It’s not me, it’s you.

My friend and former boss, the late John Hannah, Jr., was Ann Richards’ first Secretary of State. From there he became a Federal Judge, where he was serving when he suddenly passed away, much too young.

John used to tell people to be very careful about what they say and do, especially with their good friends, because, “when they convene the grand jury, your enemies won’t know enough to hurt you, and your friends won’t love you enough to lie.”

That wisdom goes double for the court of public opinion, especially when it comes to book deals for former White House officials.

Former White House Spokesdrone Scott McClellan is the latest in the parade of former Bushies to jump ship. Scott’s got a great little business plan going – be among the first White house insiders to tell Americans what they already thought they knew — that George W. Bush is an idiot President presiding over a stupid unnecessary war — and get your book on the New York Times bestseller list. If you’re the first friend who spills his guts to the grand jury, they grant you limited immunity.

Ken Herman, who previews McClellan’s book, writes:

The volume makes McClellan, a Texan picked by the President and paid by the people to help sell the war to the world, the first longtime Bush aide to put such harsh criticism between hard covers. It is an extraordinarily critical book that questions Bush’s intellectual curiosity, his candor in leading the nation to war, his pattern of self-deception and the quality of his advisers.

When another friend, Molly Ivins, passed away, the cards and emails flowed like water from all corners of the country. Scores of them, especially from rural and conservative areas of the country, had exactly the same message, regardless of the words used. They all went something like this: I would have thought I was the only one who believed what I do, if I hadn’t been able to read the things Molly wrote about. She was a island of sanity in a sea of the insane.

That is exactly why Scott McClellan, no matter the quality of his book, is about to be a very rich man. People need to know that they’re not the crazy ones – Bush is.

Meanwhile, the White House is dismissing McClellan as “disgruntled.” But so many Americans are so angry about George Bush and his war, I’m guessing enough will be willing to shell out $27.95 to prove that we’re all disgruntled — enough to put McClellan on top of the best seller list.

Mr. Bush, apparently even your friends don’t love you enough to lie.

(Update: apparently, we didn’t have to wait long for the prediction to be proven out, since the book has already climbed to the top of the amazon.com bestseller list)

Comments

comments

9 Responses to It’s not me, it’s you.

1. Don't Mess w/ Pink May 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm #

I’m disgruntled. And bitter.

2. FUBAR May 28, 2008 at 7:16 pm #

yeah, but that’s mostly because you didn’t win the t-shirt contest.

3. Don't Mess w/ Pink May 28, 2008 at 8:19 pm #

What do you mean, I didn’t win? I don’t know why you keep saying that. I don’t understand the disrespect. I refuse to concede that I must concede. I’m taking it to the convention, I tell you. I WILL NEVER QUIT. I WILL NEVER BACK DOWN. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

4. Don't Mess w/ Pink May 28, 2008 at 8:51 pm #

And by the way, I’m not buying the book. Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve hated horror stories. And talk about keeping you up at night …

/Oh, who am I kidding? I am so buying it, sleepless nights be damned.

5. KYJurisDoctor May 29, 2008 at 3:24 am #

I don’t care to know why Scott told the truth in his book; I just want to read the facts REVEALED in in it to know “what happened” to the George Bush I voted for in 2000!

6. Anonymous May 29, 2008 at 8:21 am #

i’m not buying it–literally and figuratively. i used to attend policy meetings with Gov. Bush’s administration. i’d show with binders and they’d show with a “message memo” or a post-it note–listing their political objective, nothing more. scott knew what he was getting into–he knew the bush m.o. Pretending that he was duped doesn’t pass the smell test. he was a propaganda monkey–he knew it–to pretend otherwise is intellectually dishonest and fits perfectly with his family’s tradition of political flippin’ when the flippin’ looks good. will he donate the profits to katrina refugees or maimed vets? nice test of his remorse–that.

7. Big Tex May 29, 2008 at 8:36 am #

I think that anyone who wants to give Scottie brownie points for coming forward with his book needs to remember that (1) he’s being paid handsomely for his book, and (2) it was people like Scottie who made it possible for Bush and his minions to pull much of the shit that they’ve gotten away with over the last few years. I agree with anonymous – Scottie should donate the money he’s getting for his book to benefit the people who have suffered in part because of his willingness to look the other way and keep his mouth shut for so long.

8. FUBAR May 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm #

Anonymous and Big Tex -

I tend to agree. I’m not sure anybody’s going to believe he’s doing it for altruistic reasons; I know I don’t. I think he’s doing it to sell books and get rich.

But, I also believe that it will absolutely work, for the simple reason that, when people slow down to watch the train wreck, it’s not as important to them to examine the details of who was at fault in the wreck. They just wanna see a damn train wreck.

9. El Jefe May 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm #

As the engineer of a few train wrecks, Fubar knows of what he speaks.