Rush to judgment

I was startled last night to see, while watching the news, that Rush Limbaugh said yesterday that he hopes President Obama fails.

Here’s part of what he said:

“I disagree fervently with the people on our side of the aisle who have caved and who say, ‘Well, I hope he succeeds. We’ve got to give him a chance.’ Why? They didn’t give Bush a chance in 2000….I’ve been listening to Barack Obama for a year-and-a-half. I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don’t want them to succeed.”

Of all the outrageous things Limbaugh has said over the years, that is among the most outrageous.

He wants the President to fail in his efforts to fix the economy, leaving families jobless and businesses failing?

He wants the President to fail in his efforts to bring an honorable end to the war in Iraq, resulting in more deaths, American and otherwise, in the process?

He wants our children to continue to lack health care coverage, our neighborhood schools to continue to languish under the crushing weight of neglect, and our nation’s aging infrastructure to continue to crumble?

Mr. Limbaugh: hoping that a new President fails, especially while taking office in deeply troubled times, is nothing short of un-patriotic and un-American. You should be deeply ashamed of yourself. Those who listen to you should be ashamed of themselves for being duped into propelling you to ratings levels which allow you to continue voicing your unpatriotic drivel to a nation already battered by the rubble of the last eight years.

Mr. Limbaugh, you were quick to criticize the Dixie Chicks when they were publicly critical of President Bush, and that was after Bush had a long record of failure. Now, when the whole world needs President Obama to succeed, you wish him to fail?

Hold the President accountable, of course. Challenge him on his policies, sure. But to fundamentally wish him failure in the priorities which he promised all last year he would do, and which a strong majority of voters agreed, is your acknowledgement that you only agree with participatory democracy when it suits you, and you only favor a strong America when it fits your narrow world view, and when people you like are working to achieve it.

Mr. Limbaugh, you shame us all, and none of us should have anything further to do with you.

Comments

comments

10 Responses to Rush to judgment

1. Mean Rachel January 23, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

You were watching tv?

2. whiskeydent January 23, 2009 at 4:04 pm #

Outrageously inappropriate remarks deleted by stayoutoftrouble.com

3. FUBAR January 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm #

whiskeydent – I keep meaning to register that domain name…there’s bound to be something cool I could do with it!

4. cactusflinthead January 23, 2009 at 5:31 pm #

Rushie is shameless. Logic and reason do not apply in his case. This is exactly how the 22% feels and thinks. They genuinely want Obama and us to fail, hoping that out of the smoking ashes they will ride to the rescue.

5. Jason Stanford January 23, 2009 at 7:25 pm #

When Harold Cook gets better, please have him start posting again on this blog. He must be ill. The above post was entirely devoid of mirth. It was also deeply felt and well-reasoned. It does not belong on this blog at all.

6. Pete January 26, 2009 at 6:17 am #

I like it better when you are funny, but you are right on target.

7. FUBAR January 26, 2009 at 2:27 pm #

Pete – I get that alot. Except for the “right on target” part.

8. Anonymous January 30, 2009 at 5:25 am #

He said “I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don’t want them to succeed.” He never said that he didn’t want Obama to succeed. He just doesn’t want his current plans to go through. I think you are misconstruing this quote quite horribly. Just because the man doesn’t want Obama’s plans or politics to succeed does not mean that he doesn’t want success in the White House. Of course he doesn’t want Obama’s stated plans to succeed. They would mean a very democratic country, and that’s not what he wants. He disagrees with them. He wants OBAMA to succeed (simply by virtue of the fact that he is running our country) but with different plans, different politics. Don’t get so red in the face so fast that you can’t read the quote correctly.

9. FUBAR January 30, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

Anonymous (if indeed that is your real name):

You say, “He [Limbaugh] wants OBAMA to succeed….”

Here again is what Limbaugh said. I’ll type is slowly so it doesn’t go by to fast for you and other ditto-heads:

“I disagree fervently with the people on our side of the aisle who have caved and who say, ‘Well, I hope he succeeds.”

So, Anonymous, don’t get so red in the face so fast that you can’t read the quote correctly. To borrow another quote.

10. Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

Rush said he wants his policies to fail. They are taking our country down a road to socialism. He is following in the footsteps of Cesar Chevez. MARK MY WORD!