The State of the Plate

During Governor Perry’s recent state-of-the-state address, among other recommendations Perry made, in order to make Texas an even spiffier place to live, he singled out legislation which would authorize “choose life” license plates. Anti-abortion legislators have been pushing for the plates for several sessions.

Texas is 50th in the nation in tax expenditures per capita.

Texas is 50th in the nation in the percentage of the population 25 or older with a high school diploma.

Texas is first in the nation in the percentage of uninsured children, the percent of the general population uninsured, and the percent of our non-elderly uninsured.

Texas is third in the nation in the teen birth rate, and first in the nation in the rate of teens having a second birth.

Texas is 50th in the nation in the average credit score, and first in the nation on air pollution emissions.

This all means that somewhere out there in the Great State of Texas is a 24 year old single female grandmother with asthma but no high school diploma, whose kid and grandkid are one head cold away from pneumonia, and who can’t get a car loan for the 3rd hand 1972 Chevy POS Impala she needs in order to take herself and her kids to the doctor she can’t afford. But by golly I bet she’s going to love those “choose life” license plates.

Texas legislators have a lot of serious work to do, on serious issues, and they want a big push for license plate legislation? I suppose it’s all to prove to a certain market segment what kind of governor Perry is.

I think the mere existence of that 24 year old Texas grandmother says far more about what kind of governor Perry is than his big legislative push for “choose life” license plates. I wonder what legitimate choices he imagines that girl has now?

But, hey, fair enough – if Perry wants license plates, we’ll get him some license plates. He’ll need two cars.

I’m proud of Texas…how ’bout yew?

Comments

comments

9 Responses to The State of the Plate

1. Deranged February 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

It will literally take 5 minutes for the legislature to pass the “Choose Life” license plate bill. I can’t imagine any reason to oppose it, other than being rabidly pro-abortion. There are a zillion license plate choices right now for all kinds of pet projects and groups. Why not let people have this choice? It will probably raise a lot of money for the state in the process.

2. FUBAR February 12, 2009 at 4:00 pm #

Deranged -

I think it’s wildly hysterical that you’re in favor of giving people a choice. On license plates. I’m pro-choice too – welcome to the club!

3. FUBAR February 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

And incidentally, for the benefit of other readers, when I did an IP check for the comment by Deranged, I found that the comment was made by a computer from…you guessed it…Texans for Rick Perry. Welcome to the website, Governor!

4. whiskeydent February 12, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

“Choose No Choice”

5. Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 4:44 pm #

Spit take! ROFLMAO! LOL! : )

Ok, Fubar, you’re either soaring in the heights of the political blogosphere, or Perry’s office is “desperate, desperate I say!” to find relevance.

Nothing personal, but I bet it’s the latter.

6. Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 4:45 pm #

Oh, me again.

Dollars to donuts the “Choose Life” plates don’t make it to the house floor! I’m afraid this legislature is going to be distracted by those other annoying issues, like avoiding an entire systems crash.

7. cyrus February 12, 2009 at 4:59 pm #

Those Google alerts aren’t gonna check themselves…

8. cactusflinthead February 12, 2009 at 10:46 pm #

Amazing. We blow 2 million dollars on 13 border cameras that don’t catch anybody and now we are wasting time on getting “Choose Life” plates approved? Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

9. Anonymous February 13, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

I would be all for the plates, if the repubs cared about all of life, but unfortunately they stop at birth… and in all honesty they don’t really care if the birth happens in a hospital or safely; just that it happens. They don’t care if the child gets good care, fed, a good education, or a health system that actually works. They don’t care if there is access to Colleges or Universities. They don’t care about elderly care. I really wish they would start calling themselves “Pro Birth” ‘cause that is a little more accurate of the truth.