Rodeo Clowns

Warning: This post includes such childish and disturbing attitudes that it may not be appropriate for children, unless they’re disturbed. The bad stuff is after the jump.

Like most folks raised in Houston, I grew up with the Houston rodeo, which was held in the Astrodome back in the day.

When I was little, my family would attend, and I’d be glued to the action in the arena with complete fascination. While in high school, the Livestock Show next door in the Astrohall was the place to hang out with friends and flirt with the girls. Later as an adult, one year I scored a press pass to the rodeo and attended almost every night of the 20-day event.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was big fun, so frankly I didn’t pay much attention when Mario Gallegos went to war against them a while back.

Besides being a client, State Senator Mario Gallegos is a good friend, and a good guy. He stays close to the folks he represents, knows their concerns, and plugs away at it every day, best he can. He’s had his ups and downs in life, and brings those experiences to the floor of the Texas Senate, with a clearer understanding than most of what regular folks go through. You couldn’t really ask for more than that in a public servant.

So Mario went to war against the Houston rodeo. Yeah, I know – in Houston, the cows don’t get much more sacred than that. I guessed at the time that it was going to go over just about as well as if he’d challenged the Queen of England to a mud wrestling contest.

Mario was, and still is, trying to get the rodeo to increase the transparency and diversity of their operations. Also working on this is Ben Mendez, who heads up the National Hispanic Professional Organization. It’s a big deal – the Houston rodeo organization brings in millions a year.

When Senator Gallegos and I were together earlier this week, after listening to his update on the rodeo fight, and telling me he was persona non grata at the rodeo this year because of it, I did what any socially-conscious progressive from Texas would have done: I asked him if I could have his rodeo tickets. You think I’m kidding. Unfortunately, so did he.

Since I haven’t lived in Houston for 20 years, I might never have paid much attention to this fight. And, I couldn’t testify in court about whether the rodeo is right or wrong, although I’ve certainly seen plenty of situations in which old established institutions could, and should, do a lot more to promote diversity. Those institutions usually have to be shaken and stirred quite a bit to spur them to act, so I’m guessing Gallegos and Mendez have a point.

Yesterday, the attitudes which make their point salient were abruptly, harshly, grotesquely quantified.

Due to local media coverage of this disagreement, Ben Mendez has been getting a lot of emails. Maybe Senator Gallegos has too – I just haven’t asked him about it, and he’s never asked me to write about the rodeo situation.

It’s worth noting that there is no evidence that any of these emails are from paid employees of the rodeo. I have reprinted them as I received them (except for one, in which I deleted a very long quote not original to the email writer).

From “HIGH taxpayer” rokitlady@aol.com, who is unclear whether she is a payer of high taxes, or is simply a taxpayer who is high:

It’s not enough that those of us who work for a living provide you and yours (YEAH, I MEAN the minorities…Mexicans in particular!) with their very existence here in this State and City…i.e., food, clothing and shelter, not to mention EDUCATION and MEDICAL CARE (which by the way is bankrupting this state and Nation!)

YOU have the NERVE to gripe and complain at the urging of the Jackson-Lee’s and Quanell X’s (does that ‘X’ stand for 10??) around Houston…YOU have the gall to literally BITE the hand that has been feeding you and those like you……..

As a HIGH taxpayer let me say this: GO AWAY!! WE do not NEED you nor want to hear from you!

From Ray Johnson (rj_aerialaccess@yahoo.com), who is concerned with liberal noses:

Why don’t you go to Mexico and start your own RODEO. Keep your Liberal hands and nose out of the most successful, best entertainment in Houston.

From Kathryn Clifton (kaclif@swbell.net), with significant unintended irony, and many many capital letters:

EVERYONE SUMMITS BIDS THE SAME…PERHAPS IF YOUR PEOPLE SPOKE ENGLISH AND SUBMITTED THEM IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THEY MIGHT BE ACCEPTED… WHY DON’T YOU SPEND YOUR TIME TEACHING YOUR PEOPLE HOW TO SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE…WE LIVE IN HOUSTON TEXAS SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE

YES IS GIVES ME INSIGHT….SAME OLD THING DIFERENT DAY…YOU PEOPLE WANT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING…YOU TAKE AND TAKE AND TAKE AWAY FROM OUR GOD GIVNE RIGHTS, YOU TAKE OPPERTUNITIUES THAT YOU HAVEN’T EARNED, YOU KEEP YOU JAND OUT AND TAKE AWAY FROM MY CHILDREN…I SAY ENOUGH OF YOUR BULLSHIT…START YOUR OWN DAMN RODEO AND LEAVE US ENGLISH SPEAKING TAX PAYING HARD WORKING AMERICAN CITIZENS THE HELL ALONE….I’D RETHINK THAT PROTEST YOU HAVE SCHEDULED…..THERE’S ALOT A PISSED OFF ANGLOS OUT HERE JUST WAITING TO LET THEIR VOICES BE HEARD! BUT THANKS FOR YOUR EMAIL YOU IDIOT!

From Jeff Kitzman (jeffcatv@hotmail.com), who plays the “you fricken Mexicans” card:

Why don’t you go get a job and start your own rodeo? I’m really sick and tired of you fricken Mexicans wanting everything that all the rest of us have worked for for years to make great. Start out with getting your own people to obey the laws and pay taxes. Keep them from sending there non english speaking kids to school on the tax payers dime. And keep them from having babies and using the hospitals for free. Then we will talk about you interfering with a rodeo that has done good things for people for years.

From Ty Davidson (ty_davidson@sbcglobal.net), who must be exhausted after using all those exclamation points:

I have an idea! Go have your own rodeo in MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Les Jordan (lesjordan@earthlink.net), who was kind enough to include his place of employment and his contact numbers:

In answer to your accusations against the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

I believe you are correct to be proud of your heritage and I am extremely proud of mine. I know if I did not like it here in Texas, USA I would go back to the place of my ancestry.

So may I suggest you and your followers get out of Texas and head south. I understand everyday is Mexican Heritage Day!

Sincerely,
Les Jordan
Texas Star Foods
Tejas Food Brokers
lesjordan@earthlink.net
Ph# 832-746-8611
Fax# 281-535-5551

From Cindy Knapp (cindy.knapp@WorleyParsons.com), who was kind enough to include her phone number:

Go back to Mexico.

Cindy Knapp
713-892-0777

From Gail Caffey (gcaffey@gillmanauto.com), who “finds” things a lot, and who, while urging high school graduations, indicates through her lack of proper grammar that she might need a few additional classes herself:

I find that if your ethnic background of people or the Hispanic community wanted to be a part of the rodeo they would be able to do that by paying their membership dues and volunteering their time just as anyone else out there on the rodeo committee does at this point.

Maybe if the Hispanic community would find something better to do with their time, they could be part of a great organization that I belong. They should learn to volunteer their time and not take from others for something they have not worked for. I find that you as an individual just want to make a name for yourself and this seems to be a way for you to do it. Why don’t you find another organization to pick on? Also if you look into the back grounds of what is required you will see that it takes for someone to graduate from school with a certain standard of grades. If I recall your Hispanic community is the ones that are listed on the highest drop out rates of none graduating. You all have to practically pick these children up yourselves just to get them to school and get the just barely passing to graduate. Maybe as a community you should be teaching them better morals and discipline.

From skstarnes@sbcglobal.net, who apparently speaks for all Caucasians nation-wide, and who proclaims “I are sick and disgusted:”

I – along with the rest of the Caucasian population all over the USA – are SICK of and DISGUSTED by the whining, crying and accusations from Hispanics and Blacks to have more opportunity and freebees and handouts and charity and welfare. All of you are living in a self-defeating irresponsible world of entitlement. Also — Blacks are NOT African-Americans unless they were born in Africa and moved here. They are BLACK or NEGRO, if they care to be singled out for their race. But if they and you were true AMERICANS you would choose to be called just that – AMERICANS. Do you see white people demanding to be called CAUCASIAN or WHITE?? No! We’re AMERICANS. Period….

Well thank you for that, Mr. or Ms. Starnes. I are sick and disgusted too. But not the way you think.

The emails are illustrative of attitudes most of us wish had been buried deep, long ago, but which we fear remain far too close to the surface. They should serve as a reminder that, as far as we would like to think we have come, the ugliness of racism and hatred has not strayed far; and merely waits for the day when caring people cease to stand watch.

While we all love to pat ourselves on the back for how far we have come, we also need clear reminders of where we have yet to go.

Comments

comments

40 Responses to Rodeo Clowns

1. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Just wanted to clarify…I not a *HiGh* tax payer…but I DO pay HIGH taxes!
    And…when I get my tax statements every year, I think my taxing entities are definitely high!

Best Regards!
    RokitLady

2. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm #

It’s a good thing that Ms. RokitLady has informed us she is not HIGH, but can she let us know when she became a raciest

3. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm #

I absolutely am NOT racist in any way…I am, however prejudiced…against people who claim to have nothing but who in fact, simply because of their race, want and just GET whatever they scream about BECAUSE PLAY the ‘race card’! Why is it that only WHITE people are accused of ‘playing the Race Card’??

Just so you and your readers know, I am a Teacher, and I TEACH children and adults of all races and religions! I’ve had Black students, Mexican students, Arab students and their parents, Anglo students, Oriental students, and one who was as near as I can tell of Gypsy descent. NONE of them were taught any differently than the other. ALL were given equal time and effort on my part. Most were ESL students who, when I left them were MUCH better off than before they found me. So, Sir, do NOT pull that Race Card Crap on ME!!

In your online article you stated, “Several of the worst of the emails Mr. Mendez has received made their way to a friend of his, who forwarded them to Democratic activist Carl Whitmarsh, who through the magic of his 8,300-person email list, put them in a lot of in-boxes yesterday evening. And at the risk of violating my own rule on my site against publishing filth (not including my picture), I’m going to share them.”

I am outraged that you would consider my email “filth”…I am simply stating what many people feel! Of course, I notice that my email was forwarded to a Democratic activist and THAT explains it all! The ‘IF we can’t have it all…No one gets ANY’ attitude!!
    None of the emailers you published on your site wrote any “filth”. They were simply stating opinion. You show your true colors, Sir by not dealing in the FACTS of the HRLS situation, just blindly believing what some disgruntled minorities are screaming about to the media this month. Now, it’s not to say that sometimes they are not without cause! I live in Bellaire (in the same home I was born in!) and I totally support the racial profiling investigation into the police force here. What happened here New Year’s Eve was inexcusable and the officer involved should have been fired IMMEDIATELY with charges brought against him.
    As far as the Houston Rodeo is concerned, there is MUCH diversity, and there could be much more IF the Hispanic Community would act in such a way that they could be included, areas where bids are taken, for instance. So, Sir don’t pass Liberal judgment until you have the FACTS.
    AND, don’t call the people you publish racists and writers of filth. I am neither afraid of nor do I hate anyone of any race. I AM a caring person and I stand watch with the youngest of us…teaching them to love unconditionally and RESPECT ALL, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR VIEWS MAY BE! But, I also teach them to form and have their OWN thoughts and opinions, based on the facts!
    I DO pat myself on the back…Along with my Husband, a 20 Veteran of the US Air Force, my four sons: A Chef who put himself through Johnson and Wales University, a Marine who fought in Iraq at the beginning of the War and came home 90% disabled, one son who is Gay and absolutely amazing as is his wonderful Partner, and our youngest son who is married to a young lady, 23, who is dying of Lupus because she had no health insurance, therefore could not get the care she needed when she needed it!! (and by the way, I am her caregiver…). Gee, there were SO MANY people taking advantage of the FREE COUNTY HEALTH CARE SYSTEM!!! SHE was not able to get ANY help until just recently, but uh-oh..too late for her…
    By the way, Sir…we buy our groceries from Angel Food Ministries, just to help out a little where we can in our community. Where do you get yours from?
    So you see, Sir, before you make charges against the people you quote, maybe you should consider WHY they have written WHAT they have written!
    Once in a while….one just MIGHT KNOW that what they are writing is based on TRUTH, not on some Right Wing Racist Conservative Conspiracy to keep Hispanics out of the Rodeo or out of any place else, for that matter…it’s just asking for some EQUALITY for the REST of us who are now the REAL minority!!

(Caucasian and Proud but NOT racist)

Regards,
    RokitLady

4. Lisa March 5, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

Unfortunately, it’s become commonplace in this country to be characterized as un-American if you stand up for yourself or question the status quo. Everyone’s parents, grandparents or great grandparents came from somewhere else and we share much more in common than not. To read such vitriolic emails is hurtful and sad, but more than anything…it PISSES ME OFF!!!

I particularly enjoyed the email from Jeff Kitzman asking Mexicans to start their own rodeo. The word RODEO is Spanish in origin for it was Hispanics who STARTED THE RODEO!!!! So why don’t you go start your own rodeo idiot!

When you have no culture to call your own, you steal ours and then supplant it as your own…no original ideas, just hate!

5. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 5:54 pm #

RokitLady – There are more than 40,000 U.S. troops of Hispanic decent serving in Iraq. The first U.S. solider who died in this war was a Latino. It saddens me to think that you are an educator in our city. You should know that Oriental is a furniture style, not an ethnic group, the correct term is Asian.
    The City of Houston is over 65% “minority” now and growing, this city belongs to all – not just the Anglo population. When a private non-profit like the HSLRS uses public venues for its operation it is perfectly acceptable to ask questions regarding the operations and distribution of funds. In the past year I have seen various articles in the Houston Chronicle regarding this issue that Senator Gallegos first brought to all our attention. I do not see the harm in asking questions and requiring the HLSRS to disclose facts on how they use our funds.
    I am a lifetime member of the Rodeo and I would like to see more details.
    I am a Caucasian and I am not proud to have you and other racist representing me. I agree with Lisa, you piss me off!

6. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

May I address The United Liberal Front?
    You my friends have destroyed our wonderful Country, in less than 100 days you have done more damage to this Country than any of the Carters, Clintons, and any demorat (spelled correctly) or Republican in US history. I just hope and pray there will still be a USA as we knew it by the end of 2012 so the sane citizens can take this Country back from the united socialist party. Please feel free to forward this message to the demorats so they might have a clue how the real Americans feel.
    You guessed it I DID NOT VOTE FOR HIM, I had more respect for my fellow Americans than that. Sad there was not more of us that felt the same way or we would be in better economic shape and still have Americans with jobs. I have a great idea, let’s divide this Country in two parts. Let the demorats pay for all the social programs for all the lazy bottom dwellers that could not even spell WORK but has plenty of time to have many children they do not want. Would that be fair? I will support the fine Americans that has a job but could use some help once in a while with my tax dollars. I bet my taxes will a lot less than yours!
    Now for the POS that thinks they are being discriminated against at the Houston Rodeo, WAAAAA you are one of the main reasons our Country is in the mess it is in! You and Jackson, Malcolm 10 and the 2 million illegal aliens that live in Houston. Instead of crying to the media about how the Americans are treating you why don’t you grow some balls and step up and do something for yourselves? When was the last time any of you volunteered to work the Rodeo ( for no pay )?
    That is what I thought, you lazy POS’s that you are. Instead of crying about how bad you are treated, why don’t you convince the 2+ million illegal aliens that are in Texas alone to grow some balls and enter this Country the LEGAL way? They are here by sneaking across our borders just like criminals, and should be prosecuted just like any criminal that would breaks our laws. I ask do they support the Rodeo by spending illegal dollars? If so I would rather they spent that money on paying for their own illegal babies and stop making the American taxpayer foot the bill! Spend that money on hiring tutors to teach them ENGLISH before they get to our wonderful schools and bring the class standard down. Why must American students pay the price for your illegal anchor babies because the Federal government reduces money for poor performance standards? Yes YOU are the cause of our children getting a substandard education because the teachers have to dumb down the classrooms for your illegal anchor babies! That also goes for you thugs calling yourself GANG members of any color! Do the public a favor, shoot each other until all of you are gone. I will gladly pay tax higher taxes to bury you in potter’s field. You don’t work to pay taxes so you are no better than the illegal’s! And here comes the race card folks, yes I am part Caucasian and American Indian. Part of my Family has been here since the beginning of time, the other part came from Europe ( legally ) I might add. I have Japanese Family members as well, so I really don’t feel that I am a racist. But is being proud of what and who I am makes me a racist so be it! If American’s would stop with the PC police and just be proud of who you are this Country would prosper and grow to be the greatest Country in the world. Why is it if Africans claim they are black and proud, Mexicans claim they are brown and proud, but let one Caucasian group claim to be white and proud they are racists? WTF has happened to America? Don’t I have a right to associate with people of my own color and same values? Why in the hell would I be proud to be associated with GANG thugs or illegal alien GANGS? If I did see you on the street being thugs I would shoot you in the face, not be your best friend. We don’t want you here in Houston, go back to the rock you crawled from under and let the decent citizens take our city back. BTW yes I am also from Bellaire, and what Officer Cotton did in December was an outrage. Blame him for the action taken, not the citizens of Bellaire! There is nothing wrong with criminal profiling, we pay high taxes to live and raise our Families in a safe neighborhood that is why we work! If some of you would like the same for your Family GET A JOB and get off WELFARE so you can afford a better life for your Families. Welfare is slavery folks pure and simple, when will you break the chains and join the Human race after 200 years? I hope you was not waiting for Obama to set you free, he wants to keep you in chains so the Government can control you just like they have been the last 200 years. Don’t you get it? The whole plan is to keep you down and just give you just enough so you can buy drugs and alcohol, keep you involved in gangs to kill your children so they will not have to give out so much welfare in the next generations to come. WAKE UP and join the Human Race folks, we will welcome you with open arms.

Concerned Citizen

7. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 6:33 pm #

If anyone has any connections with Gillman Auto or Worley Parsons, I hope they let them know how their company resources are being used. Nauseating.

8. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

Angry, angry and ugly. Wow.

Notice that nearly every illiterate racist ranting in the comments section of blogs claims to be “1/18th mighty, mighty Choctaw” or some other b.s. native american connection. Sadly, many of them also claim to be teaching our children: “i treat all the little brown ones just like the smart ones.”

9. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

Oh don’t even go there with how resources are being used! Taxes I pay used to teach “anchor babies”??? etc. etc!!

Great post “Concerned Citizen”!!

10. cyrus March 5, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

cowards.
    Use your name, if you’re so proud.
    And if you’re real.

Robert C. Ryland
    Elgin, TX

11. R Johnson March 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

I made a comment early on about “Go and start your own Rodeo” I heard from one lady who told me that I was in the minority in Houston now. I say to her that if the Illegals were sent home I would not be in the minority. I have no qualms with people who come LEGALLY, but I do have a problem with people who break the law. The RODEO is very special to me as I am a volenteer who donates time and money to help make a success. It is an awsome endeaver that brings revenue to the City of Houston and scholarships to children who otherwise could not attend college.
    It saddens me to see politicans try to destroy the people who have dedicated their lives to this cause.
    Again, I say to you. Don’t use your Race card to try to short circuit the system.. How many years have you been a volenteer Mr. Gallegos? Maybe you should try it. You might find it rewarding. But you can not start at the top of the organization.
    You LIBERALS are taking our country down the road of no return and you want to take one of the best things Houston has to offer with you.
    I can not wait for the 2010 elections.
    GO RUSH L.!!

12. R Johnson March 5, 2009 at 8:55 pm #

The only clown I see is the person who posted thic story. But what can you expect living in Austin.

13. jolie March 5, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

whoa, harold … talk about kicking over an ant hill. wow.

14. cactusflinthead March 5, 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Wow, just freakin wow.
    I can’t wait for the 2010 elections either R. Johnson. Guess what, yer gonna get smoked again!
    Hating and race wars didn’t win you the White House, lost you Harris and Dallas County and it is entirely likely that you will lose any chance to filibuster anything in the Senate.
    Do you even know how many people supported Rushie in the most recent polls? A whopping 14% at best. Good luck with all that.
    Better find a way to get used to diversity and transparency.

15. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 9:24 pm #

Lisa, Being p’d off is much better than being p’d on!!!

16. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 9:27 pm #

Gillman Auto Group contact form:

Email I sent them:

I was forwarded the below email from a member of your staff, and thought you would like to see how employees of your company are using company resources.

I certainly hope that Gillman Auto Group does not condone such condescending, offensive behavior. The below employee suggests that the Hispanic community teach our children better morals and discipline. I suggest your company teach your employees better grammar and proper use of company resources and email accounts.

As a Houstonian of Hispanic descent, with a college degree and a full time job I have been in the market for a new car, but I will not be purchasing one from Gillman Auto Group.

Joe

From: Gail Caffey gcaffey@gillmanauto.com
    Subject: Houston Livestock show and Rodeo
    To: benmendez@thehoustoncalendar.com
    Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 12:48 PM

I find that if your ethnic background of people or the Hispanic community
    wanted to be a part of the rodeo they would be able to do that by paying
    their membership dues and volunteering their time just as anyone else out
    there on the rodeo committee does at this point.

Maybe if the Hispanic community would find something better to do with their
    time, they could be part of a great organization that I belong. They should
    learn to volunteer their time and not take from others for something they
    have not worked for. I find that you as an individual just want to make a
    name for yourself and this seems to be a way for you to do it. Why don’t
    you find another organization to pick on? Also if you look into the back
    grounds of what is required you will see that it takes for someone to
    graduate from school with a certain standard of grades. If I recall your
    Hispanic community is the ones that are listed on the highest drop out rates
    of none graduating. You all have to practically pick these children up
    yourselves just to get them to school and get the just barely passing to
    graduate. Maybe as a community you should be teaching them better morals
    and discipline.

17. S.K. Starnes March 5, 2009 at 11:39 pm #

Harold Cook,
    As a journalist, you should be interested in reading this email I sent yesterday to Mr. Mendez.

Mr. Mendez,

On Feb. 28, 2009, I sent an email to YOU regarding your upcoming diversity protest at the HLSR and your accusations against the HLSR management and volunteers. You, however, took it upon yourself to forward my message (without telling or asking me) to ALL your email contacts. NOTE… I have NEVER received a reply from you personally. I would appreciate a reply from YOU, Mr. Mendez.

I have received many emails from people I don’t know as a result of your action. No problem, the majority of people support my views and a few others don’t. But that’s not the point. The point is, you manipulative, lying son of a bitch, YOU EDITED MY MESSAGE before you sent it to your contacts. For your review, I have attached my FULL Feb. 28 email message I sent to you so you can re-read it. In that email is your list of grievances and the HLSR letter which responds to your grievances. I received the HLSR letter and your grievance list from the HLSR because I am committeeman volunteer.

I fully agree with your right to protest and voice opinions and grievances. I hold the same right, Mr. Mendez.

However, the right YOU DO NOT HAVE is the right to edit, change and manipulate my message and opinions to suit your objectives in an attempt to make your opinions carry more weight and appear valid.

S.K. Starnes

18. S. K. Starnes March 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm #

S.K. Starnes’ Full Email prior to Mendez’ Self-serving Edit and Distribution

Mr.Mendez,

RE: Hispanic and African American Diversity Protest at HLSR grounds March 13 and Your document

You accuse the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo volunteers, leaders and management of personally enriching themselves from money intended for scholarships: “An Organization that claims to be all about scholarships is really a money-making machine for those in leadership positions,” you say. Your document is full of misleading statements and outright lies. You should be ashamed of yourself. You’re a racist. You are doing a huge irreparable disservice misleading & misinforming your followers and others. The facts are below. You owe the HLSR volunteers, management, vendors, participants, exhibitors and attendees a sincere apology and public retraction of your false statements.

The majority of attendees at the HLSR events ARE white. (It is what it is. Just like the majority of attendees at Cinco de Mayo are Hispanic.) And so goes the flavor and culture of the music, food and exhibits. If you want more of the rodeo activities geared towards Hispanics and Blacks, you are free to organize a rodeo. The majority of the HLSR workers are unpaid volunteers. These volunteer committees are open to everyone and anyone. All you have to do is join a committee and WORK. Agreed, getting on a committee can take a while because there are long lines to join, and committees have a set numbers of people. But it’s that way for everyone, regardless of gender or color. Get in line with the rest of us. Just because you’re Hispanic or Black does not entitle you to jump to the front of the line. Same with the exhibits and vendors slots, get in line, register and pay your fee, then exhibit. The HLSR is a very popular venue and spots book way in advance. So get in line, book your spot and be at the rodeo.

Why should the Go Tejano committee or the Black Heritage committee be allowed to give input re: the entertainer line up for Hispanic Heritage Day or Black Heritage Day at HLSR? The other committees like School Art or GateKeepers or Breeders Greeters or Horspitality aren’t allowed to give any input for the entertainer line up – Never have been and never should be. They don’t demand to give input either. It’s not their focus or objective. It’s not the responsibility of the volunteer committees to pick the entertainers. The volunteer committees are there to work and facilitate the success of the HLSR, bottom line. Why should the Go Tejano committee or the Black Heritage committee get special treatment or opportunities? The HLSR doesn’t have a Go Caucasian committee or White Heritage Day. Hmmmmm… I don’t hear anyone yelling for one either. I typically don’t like 1/3 of the white entertainers the show picks, but that’s the way a large varied venue like this goes. To make money for your organization you have to cover as many bases as you can in the line up and events so as to attract attendees, fill the seats and create revenue.

NOTE – this approach of attacking the HLSR volunteers and management is NOT the right approach. I do not understand what it is you’re trying to achieve with this attack and criticism of HLSR, however you should remember: “You attract more bees with honey than vinegar.” If your objective is be a larger part of the HLSR – get in there and work, bring things to the table that contribute to the HLSR commitment to further education for all children and young people. Don’t whine, stamp your feet and demand special consideration for your groups. That doesn’t get you very far in American – our country wasn’t based on those shallow attitudes and values. The USA and its 200+ year old culture is based on hard, honest Christian work, among many other admirable and virtuous traits.

Furthermore, I – along with the rest of the Caucasian population all over the USA – are SICK of and DISGUSTED by the whining, crying and accusations from Hispanics and Blacks to have more opportunity, freebees, handouts, charity and welfare. All of you are living in a self-defeating irresponsible world of entitlement. Also — Blacks are NOT African-Americans unless they were born in Africa and moved here. They are BLACK or NEGRO, if they care to be singled out for their race. But if they and you were true AMERICANS you would choose to be called just that – AMERICANS. Do you see white people demanding to be called CAUCASIAN or WHITE?? No! We’re AMERICANS. Period.

Michael Richards makes his point, and I agree with him 200%: “Someone finally said it. How many are actually paying attention to this? There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans. You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me ‘Whiteboy,’ ‘Cracker,’ ‘Honkey,’ ‘Whitey,’ ‘Caveman’… and that’s OK. But when I call you Beaner, Taco Flaco, Nigger, Kike, Towel head, Sand-nigger, Camel Jockey, Gook or Chink20.. You call me a racist. You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you… so why are the ghettos and barrios the most dangerous places to live? You have LULAC, the National Hispanic Professional Organization, the United Negro College Fund, The League of Mexican American Women, The Mexican American Adult Basketball League. You have Martin Luther King Day. Dia De Los Muertos. You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day. You have Cinco de Mayo. You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma’uled Al-Nabi. You have the NAACP. You have to bet – If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we’d be called racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racist. If we had White History Month, we’d be racists. If we had any organization for only whites to ‘advance’ OUR lives, we’d be racists.
    We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that??
    A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.
    If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships… You know we’d be racists.
    There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US. Yet if there were ‘White colleges’, that would be a racist college.
    In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists. You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you’re not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.
    You rob us, carjack us and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a Hispanic or black gang member or beats up a black or Hispanic drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.
    I am proud to be white. But you call me a racist. Why is it that only whites can be racists??”

19. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 11:51 pm #

Well I guss I will not be buying any more Honda’s from Gillman.

20. Anonymous March 5, 2009 at 11:53 pm #

This email was foward to me -

MEMO
    From: Butch Robinson, Chairman of the Board, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
    To: Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo volunteers, members and supporters
    Last year, you may recall that there were a few protests and press conferences held by elected officials and activists over the lack of a major venue for the Tejano music genre on Go Tejano Day.
    The controversy expanded to include questions concerning the awarding of scholarships and contracts to minority vendors, the ethnic diversity of the Show’s leadership and employee base, and transparency regarding the use and distribution of Show revenues.
    We did our best to answer the questions openly and honestly, but a number of misconceptions and untruths about the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo continue to circulate.
    State Sen. Mario Gallegos led the protests last year and is continuing his efforts in 2009. Earlier today, he held a press conference leveling many of the same allegations. There may be protests during the Show and efforts to promote legislation that could harm the good work we do in providing scholarships and entertainment, and promoting Texas traditions.
    The Show’s leadership has met on numerous occasions with Sen. Gallegos, and various Hispanic and other minority leaders in an effort to resolve the controversy, and we will continue to do so in the future. We realize that we can always improve our outreach throughout the Houston community and the state in an effort to better inform people about all the good things the Show and its members and volunteers do, and we intend to do so. And, we’ll continue to promote higher education, provide quality family entertainment, contribute to the economy, and honor the many cultures and traditions that make Texas such a great state.
    We are sending you this memorandum to make you aware of the situation and explain the facts so that you will know the truth and perhaps help us correct the misconceptions and uphold the reputation and honor of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
    In the spirit of full disclosure, be aware that I’m not an unbiased observer – I’m one of 21,000 Show volunteers – mostly Houstonians just like you. I’ve worked my way up through the volunteer system to my position as chairman of the board, and there’s one significant reason that I have contributed so much time, money and energy to this organization. Since 1932, the Show has committed more than $235 million to the youth of Texas.
    Our largest scholarship program awards four-year, $15,000 scholarships to every public school in Harris, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller counties. From 2006 to 2008, 915 scholarships have been awarded in the Houston metropolitan area, totaling nearly $12 million in support, with more than half going to minority students. The breakdown reflects that 28.7 percent went to Hispanics, 18.1 percent to African-American students, 9.0 percent to Asian-Americans, and 44.1 percent to Anglos, closely mirroring the demographics of the graduating high school seniors in the Houston metropolitan area.
    Hispanics serve on a majority of the Show’s nearly 100 committees and hold leadership positions on nearly half. Many are active members of the Show’s board of directors. Rudy Cano, Hispanic, and Warner Ervin, African-American, are two of the Show’s officers. Between them, they have leadership over a significant part of the Show’s committees.
    Anyone can get involved in the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo who is willing to give time, money and service, and there are many opportunities for moving into leadership positions for people whose experience and involvement with the Show merit it.
    As we’ve repeated many times, Go Tejano Day entertainment selection is based on market research, surveys, media involvement and consultation, record sales, and consumer input. We want to sell tickets and fill Reliant Stadium with enthusiastic rodeo and music fans. The record number of people who continue to attend Go Tejano Day attests to the fact that we’re doing just that.
    Transparency isn’t really a matter of choice, and no additional legislation that singles out our organization is needed. As a charity, the Show is bound by IRS regulations to provide specific financial information in order to meet compliance. Also, the Show complies with the Texas-Not-For-Profit Information Act that ensures the transparency of non-for-profits in the state.
    Our purchasing and contracting programs are open to competing bids from everyone, and for contracts over specific amounts, we require bids. We want to support small businesses in Houston, and we’ll continue to do so.
    The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo will continue to do what we’ve always done – put on a great Show and award thousands of scholarships to deserving Houston-area students.
    I’m well aware that many of you are already Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo volunteers, as well as representatives of the Hispanic, African-American, Asian-American and other communities that make up our melting pot city. We thank you for your continuing support of the Show’s mission, goals and purposes, and we appreciate your help in spreading the truth about the organization.
    As Chairman of the Board, I’ve had the special privilege of meeting many of the students, with their parents, who have received Show scholarships. These are incredible young people who are getting a chance that they may not have otherwise had to attend college. Many are the first generation in their family to have this opportunity.
    Again, it’s why I do what I do as a volunteer. Whether it’s a Houston high school senior who is getting the chance of a lifetime to further his education; a fifth-grader from the Texas Panhandle who is showing her lamb; or an elementary school student learning to read through the Rodeo Institute for Teacher Excellence, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo touches the lives of Texas kids.
    Join me in celebrating the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, an organization that represents everything that is great about Houston and Texas!

21. Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 12:04 am #

— On Mon, 3/2/09, JOE RENTZ
    From: JOE RENTZ
    Subje ct: BOUNCE THE BOYCOTT
    To: joerentz@jrentzlaw.com
    Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 5:40 PM
    Dear Fellow Chairmen ,
    It has come to my attention that a few well known local political activists have called for a boycott of our Show on Friday , March 13 th based on their misrepresentations and incorrect accusations that are directly opposed to the facts of the issues . Lets not give them any chance to proclaim success in their “boycott”. Lets turn the idea around on them and let them see who our volunteers are and what they’re made of . I have sent my committee an e-mail suggesting that each member encourage everyone that they come in contact with to come out the night of March 13th, see a really great rodeo and a fantastic Houstonian in concert, and support the Show by a record attendance , thereby “Bouncing the Boycott ! “. If you feel as I do, I encourage you to send a similar message to your membership. See you at the Show on March 13. Thanks for your consideration . Joe Rentz , Chairman , Speakers Committee

22. Lisa March 6, 2009 at 12:45 am #

Everyday is white American day in the U.S….so gimme a break you whiney wimps!

23. S.K. Starnes March 6, 2009 at 12:49 am #

In a widely circulated e-mail, Ben Mendez, political activist and spokesperson for the National Hispanic Professional Organization, has presented a list of inaccurate statements and facts accusing the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo’s volunteer leadership and salaried management of deception and non-compliance with state and federal requirements for non-profit organizations.

More importantly, Mendez accuses the Show’s volunteer leaders and management of personally enriching themselves from money intended for scholarships: “An Organization that claims to be all about scholarships is really a money-making machine for those in leadership positions.” His document is full of misleading statements and outright lies. Please see Ben Mendez’s full e-mail below.

NOW THE FACTS:

The Show was going to move to the Port City Stockyards after the Democratic Convention Hall burned in 1936. Houston urged Show officials not to do that and the city built the Sam Houston Coliseum to house a variety of activities, including the Show.

The Show management was in private offices (sometimes sharing offices with the Houston Chamber of Commerce) until it moved to the Astrodome complex in 1966.

In 1966, the Show, at the request of Harris County, abandoned its plans to build its own coliseum (where the Northwest Mall is now located) to build a convention/livestock exposition building to support the Astrodome. The Show built the Astrohall, the Astroarena (Reliant Arena) and its year-round offices (at its own expense) and donated them to Harris County.

The Show paid for the build-out of its offices in Reliant Center. The Show’s direct contributions and bond coverage funding for Reliant Stadium and Reliant Center is $87.1 million. The Show pays $1.5 million in annual rent for its use of Reliant Stadium.

The Show’s board is reflective of the volunteer makeup of the Show (more than 21,000 volunteers) and it includes at least nine Hispanics (the Show does not track ethnicity of its membership). The Show has one Hispanic and one African-American among its 18 volunteer vice presidents (the second highest volunteer position in the Show).

According to a survey of Hispanic surnames conducted by Show volunteers Rey Gonzales, Joe Vara, Santa Gonzales and Amanda Salinas, during 2008 at least 1,324 Hispanic volunteers served on 89 of the Show’s 93 committees and they held leadership positions on 48 percent of the committees, to include being chairman of four committees.

African-Americans and Hispanics are setting a fast pace through the Show’s volunteer ranks based on dedication, commitment, continued service and merit.

The Show is a color-blind, equal opportunity employer that prides itself on being ethnically neutral. There are 25 (not seven) minority employees (Hispanic, African-American, Asian-American and mixed-race) among the 100 full-time Show employees. Their jobs include specialists, technicians, computer programmers, accounting and customer service, and management employees. The Show does not employ groundskeepers – that is the responsibility of Harris County. In addition, 76 percent of the Show’s full time staff is female. Forty percent of senior management, and 57 percent of all Show management, are women.

The Show does not hide its six-figure employee salaries as Mendez reports. In fact, anyone can access numerous public Web sites, including guidestar.com, to see the Show’s latest 990 tax return where they can view the salaries of the top eight Show employees.

The Houston Chronicle has reported the Show’s top management salaries on several occasions in recent years. In a March, 18, 2008, article (written by Alexis Grant) the Chronicle stated that, “Only one of the Show’s 91 full-time employees, Wagner, makes more than $300,000. Two other employees, Chief Operating Officer Leroy Shafer and Chief Technology Officer Andrew Sloan, make more than $200,000.”

The same Chronicle article referenced Dan Parsons, the Better Business Bureau president, who said that those salaries are comparable to others in Houston’s nonprofit sector. An independent compensation consultant reporting directly to the Executive Committee determined that salaries were very much in line with comparable positions in similar organizations.

The Show has never taken in $120 million in a year (as Mendez claims). In 2008, the Show’s operating revenues were $85,185,000. Program expenses (the Show’s real exempt purpose is to put on a livestock show and fair, using some of the net proceeds for education and building) were $53,875,466. This accounted for 63 percent of the gross revenue. $15,603,897 went to Texas youth through auctions and educational support (18 percent of gross revenue). Combined, 82 percent of all gross revenue covered expenses that met the Show’s exempt purpose. The Show spent $5,757,965 on administrative expenses (7 percent) and $4,117,247 on fundraising (5 percent). The Show had a net income from operations of $5,841,277 (7 percent). Net profit is used to build reserves to be used for three purposes:

Provide organization funding in the event there is a catastrophic event and the Show can’t be held (this possibility was very realistic after the damage caused by Hurricane Ike);

Provide the ability for the Show to make capital contributions to Reliant Park facility projects (as it has done on every project so far);

To quasi-endow the educational programs so that the Show can continue to have an impact on youth and education even if it someday is not as financially successful as it has been recently (that possibility was a real possibility in the mid-1980s with the “oil bust”).

Mendez references the Show’s $50 million in awarded contracts. The Show does not award anywhere near that dollar amount of “contracts.” It is the assumption of the Show management that he is referring to the non youth and education expenses of the Show from the audited financials. If so, those expenses included more than:

$10.5 million in city, county, and facility-related fees and expenses (expenses that cannot be bid by the Show);

$5 million in non-cash expenses (i.e. depreciation);

$14,500,000 in non-vendor-related expenses such as cash awards to exhibitors and contestants; salaries and salary-related expenses for the 695 full-time staff, part-time staff and security; U.S. Postal Service fees; etc.;

$7,600,000 to stadium entertainers which are negotiated and agreed to by the entertainers’ agents;

$1,400,000 in advertising (a considerable amount going to Spanish-language media) that in most cases is paid at the going market rates unless the vendor offers a discount; and nearly $2,000,000 in alcoholic beverages (which as a retailer, state law requires us to purchase from distributors).

For the 2008 fiscal year, the Show paid over 8,000 vendors. Vendors are selected by Show staff and thousands of committee members. The Show gets multiple bids for products and services based on the type of purchase, and takes bids from qualified entities. Some are bid project by project, some by year, and some multi-year, depending on the type of product or service provided. The bidding requirements start at $1,000, based on the size/type of the project. If the lowest bid is not selected, a strong reason has to be demonstrated as to why it was not (i.e. turnaround time, quality of sample products provided).

As the Show literally has thousands of people handling its purchases, it is believable when Show officials hear that some vendors find it hard to determine how to submit bids or learn about upcoming projects. The Show is committed to improving that process. After this Show is complete, officials will review the process to see what improvements can be made (vendor seminars, Web site submission of information, etc.). This would be open to all vendors that are interested in doing business with the Show. The Show knows of no one who has been unable to approach the Show about doing business.

The Show’s entertainment budget for 2009 is $8,300,000. The actual expended budget will be between $7,310,000 and $8,260,000 – depending on performance payout options. Not one entertainer will be paid between $750,000 and $1,000,000 (Mendez reported that all non-Hispanic entertainers get paid that much). If all entertainers got paid equally at the Show (they do not), each entertainer this year would be paid around $377,000. The Show never reveals a specific entertainer salary, but it would be ludicrous to compare Little Joe’s salary from 18 and 20 years ago with today’s entertainer salaries.

The Show negotiates all of its entertainer contracts based on market value (understanding that it pays a premium over market because of the one-off nature and the size of the venue).

The Show’s entertainers are evaluated, selected and contacted by the Show’s entertainment department – under the direct supervision of the managing director of entertainment. The evaluation is based on numerous surveys, computer models, record sales, comparable concert sales, and consultation with radio station program directors and others in the industry. In the case of entertainers for Go Tejano Day and Black Heritage Day, entertainment department staff consults with the leadership of each committee regarding talent. The Show has repeatedly told Mendez this and he continues to report that they have not been consulted. Like any business, the Show’s goal and fiduciary duty is to maximize attendance at the most economical level to the Show, not to the entertainer.

The managing director of entertainment reports directly to the COO and often briefs the president and CEO, and chairman of the board. The Executive Committee is not involved in this process and does not know the entertainer lineup before it is announced.

Mendez says, “Basic information has been requested year after year and every time we are given excuses. What is there to hide?” The Show knows of no request from Mendez or Sen. Gallegos prior to Feb. 10 of this year (a Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act information request from Sen. Gallegos). The information was delivered Feb. 20, while preparations were in full-swing for the 2009 Show.

During the past year, Harris County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia requested the ethnic makeup of the Show’s scholarship recipients. The Show could not respond because it had never tracked the ethnicity of its students. Because of ongoing misinformation on this issue, the Show instructed its education department in early February to pull all winning scholarship applications for the past three years and to note ethnicity of each student from the attached high school transcript. Commissioner Garcia was given that information last week. The Show believes the ethnicity of the scholarship recipients in the Houston metro area reflects the ethnicity of the area’s population.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a responsible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that complies with all requirements of the IRS and the Texas Non-Profit Corporation Act. This should be evidenced by several requests from Houston media over the years. The Show does not reveal the individual salaries of its entertainers as that is proprietary and trade-secret information. Each salary is negotiated and it would be extremely damaging for other artists, agents and managers to know each salary.

If you are a member, volunteer, or supporter of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, take pride in the fact that you know the facts about the Show and pass this information on to all of your friends and associates.

ACTUAL BEN MENDEZ E-MAIL
    From: Ben Mendez [mailto:benmendez@thehoustoncalendar.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:14 AM
    To:
    Subject: Rodeo Protest Scheduled for March 13

The Hispanic and African American communities are protesting the lack of
    diversity within the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. A press conference
    is scheduled for Friday, February 27, at 10:30 a.m. at the Harris County
    Administration Building located at 1001 Preston. Everyone is welcome to
    support the cause.

A protest at Reliant Stadium is scheduled for Friday, March 13, at 5:00
    pm. The performer for that evening will be Clint Black.

The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo was established in 1931 and has used
    government facilities since 1938. Millions of tax dollars have been
    used to create venues and provide year-round office space for the rodeo.
    For this reason, leaders from both communities feel the rodeo should be
    inclusive of all communities.

At the press conference, the following issues will be addressed:

1. Board Members

There are 320 board members at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, of
    which 233 are voting board members and only 7 are minorities. The
    process of becoming a board member is dependent on being a big donor,
    serving on the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Committee for decades, or
    being recommended by the executive board members. There are many
    minorities that have volunteered for the rodeo for decades, yet they
    have never been recommended to serve as board members.

2. Board Executives

There are 42 executives on the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo board,
    which includes 17 vice-presidents. Of the 42, there is only one
    minority. By the way, the rodeo will consistently show him in the
    press to show they are diverse. Why don’t they show the other 41
    executives on television?

3. Full-Time Employees

There are 90+ full-time employees at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
    There are only 7 minorities, which are groundskeepers and other low
    level employees. The rodeo executives have consistently hid the
    salaries of employees for their own benefit. They do not wish to show
    anyone their hefty 6-figure salaries. The rodeo is a non-profit
    organization using government property. There should be no reason to
    hide these facts.

4. Scholarships

The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo will bring in approximately $120
    million in 2009 and yet it only has committed to award $11 million in
    scholarships, which amounts to 9% of the total funds collected. An
    organization that claims to be all about scholarships is really a
    money-making machine for those in leadership positions.

5. Concerts

The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo has 20 concerts per year. One day is
    dedicated to Hispanics and one day is dedicated to African-Americans.
    Are we to celebrate this?

6. Contracts

This year approximately $50 million will be awarded in contracts by the
    Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. Has anyone seen a Request for Proposals
    distributed to the community? I didn’t think so. There is no process
    in place to ensure minority contractors and vendors have a fair
    opportunity to bid on any of the contracts associated with the rodeo.
    It is the good ole boy network at its best.

7. Pay Parity

The average attendance for the concerts at the Houston Livestock Show &
    Rodeo is 55,000 a concert. Go Tejano Day (now called Hispanic Heritage
    Day) averages almost 70,000. Go Tejano Day has consistently broken
    attendance records throughout the years and yet the artist performing on
    that day have consistently been paid much less than their counterparts.
    The average pay for a performer for each performance is between $750,000
    and $1,000,000. Little Joe, a Tejano music legend, was paid $40,000 for
    a concert.

8. Open Records

The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo has consistently avoided being
    transparent to the citizens of Harris County. Basic information has
    been requested year after year and every time we are given excuses.
    What is there to hide?

9. Selection of Artists

The selection of entertainers is done by Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo
    executives with no input from the Go Tejano Committee or the Black
    Heritage Committee. I guess this executive committee knows it all.

I hope this information gives you insight as to the real issues
    regarding the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. If you are interested in
    joining us for the press conference or the protest, please contact me at
    benmendez@thehoustoncalendar.com.

Thank you for understanding our concerns.

Ben Mendez

24. Anonymous March 6, 2009 at 1:07 pm #

I’m sure Little Joe was offered a contract and he accepted it. Too late after the fact to complain now. Ben, you need to find a real job!!

25. Shani S. March 6, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

Whew! My eyes hurt from all that reading and my heart hurts from all that hate.
    Continuously I say to myself…
    White folks just don’t always get it… and they probably never will.
    Let me know when you’re up for a margarita and cigar, Harold. My treat, old man.

26. Anonymous March 7, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Handouts? Who’s asking for a handout? Just because this is coming from Hispanic and a African-American leaders does not mean that they are asking for handouts. It is important to focus on the issue at hand, which is for transparency to prevail. That is one thing that a lot of companies out there are not practicing. If we have a nonprofit organization not following the government nonprofit standards, then they need to restructure themselves accordingly. The government has the right to fix this at any time. As concerned and responsible citizens, we have to raise our voices for the government to pay attention to that. If the rodeo organization has nothing to hide, they should hand over their documents and show us taxpayers exactly where all that money goes. We wouldn’t want that money to be handed out irresponsibly to their members, now do we?

27. Anonymous March 8, 2009 at 7:18 am #

On the other hand, if in fact the Houston Rodeo has complied with all laws and reporting requirements isn’t this terribly unfair to all the good-hearted people who are working to make the rodeo a success? I also wonder why the protest isn’t scheduled on Hispanic Heritage night.

28. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 12:37 am #

Oh my gosh. Mr. Mendez, you really don’t get it. For someone who knows so much, you are a self proclaimed idiot. How dare you and your mexican mafia show up and protest on any night except the night that tributes all your mariachi aye yi yi bullshit. Clint Black? What has he done that you feel the need to interfere? Maybe all these volunteers than you are speaking so bad of should all protest the on Tejano Day. Hmmmmm. No one to work? Wonder what would happen then. This rodeo has been going on forever and yet you feel the need to start crap. Why? Is this making you some hero in all these illegal eyes? Then you talk about people on here using their work e-mail address? Ok, you are using yours to start all of this trouble. How many of ya’ll even know about his food broker company and how many of your followers could actually buy a car from Gillman? Don’t they buy their cars at the pay by the week lots? Usually when they have no social security card, no drivers license, no proof of residence, have 12 kids on welfare they find them a mini van at Pedro’s Swap Lot. So, why don’t you use your energy for something positive. You are turning people against people. Quite frankly, there is enough bullshit at the rodeo with you.

29. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 12:41 am #

MAYBE EMILIO CAN DRIVE YA’LL DOWN TO THE RELIANT CENTER ON HIS BUS…..HAHAHAHA…

30. Ty March 13, 2009 at 3:12 am #

LMAO!!!! Don’t know who you are but that’s some good stuff!!! Thanks for the chuckle!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! Especially “Don’t they buy their cars at the pay by the week lots? Usually when they have no social security card, no drivers license, no proof of residence, have 12 kids on welfare they find them a mini van at Pedro’s Swap Lot” lol!!! And Emilio driving them!!!!!!! ROFL!!!! And all true!!!!

31. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 5:33 pm #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

32. FUBAR March 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm #

Anonymous on March 13, 12:33 pm: I’m sorry but I’m killing your comment. It’s going a bit far to just call somebody a liar, especially without making the case for it, so I’m just not in the mood to let that stand. If you’d like to re-post your comment explaining why somebody is wrong, or inaccurate, that’s great with me.

33. Jim K March 13, 2009 at 8:39 pm #

DID I HEAR CORRECTLY…THE INFAMOUS PROTEST HAS BEEN POSTPONED?! THEY CAN’T TAKE A LITTLE CHILL AND MOISTURE??!! THAT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO THE CHILL THEY CAN EXPECT IN THE FUTURE! YES I AM YELLING.. SICK OF IT.

34. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 8:53 pm #

Fubar read Mr Mendez email that He sent to Hispanic business owners. I have the original as it was forwarded to me. It is posted above and the HLSR addressed it pont by point. To say he was untruthful is an understatement.

Go ahead and stand with Mr Mendez and Gallegos; but even you can’t hide the truth for them.

So much for free speech.

35. FUBAR March 13, 2009 at 9:41 pm #

Anonymous at 3:53 pm: If you’ll go back and re-read my original post, you’ll recall that I made little effort to “stand” with Mr. Mendez or anybody else, except to briefly note that they might have a point.

What I did do, however, was stand against the aggressively offensive remarks contained in the emails of those weighing in on the other side.

Those who commented on the post took it in the direction of the referendum on Mr. Mendez, not me. So, please try to focus.

I think it is totally entertaining that when I simply reported what others actually did say, everybody came unglued. And now it has gone full circle, with your effort to assign to me that which I didn’t say.

36. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 9:47 pm #

Then please post the anti white emails that Mr Mendez has received; he didn’t forward those to you did he?

37. FUBAR March 13, 2009 at 9:50 pm #

Actually, I’m quite pleased with the direction of my website. If you’re not, I would suggest that you start your own. But thanks for your input.

38. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm #

We’ll see how pleased you are Fubar, when you are the ONLY english speaking person in the U.S. in a few years. Hope you like tacos and spanish….but you’re probably pretty fluent by now? Seems you should be living in Mexico…?? Just inquiring.

Signed~ Proud American citizen…and legal. And anonymous…heck yeh after Pacheco looked up my friends address and threatened to protest on his lawn!!!

39. Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 11:08 pm #

Water too cold…your backs are wet anyway! Bunch of shit startin’ wetback spics…GO HOME..do you really think if we went to Mexico ya’ll would get George Strait to play for us? NOT….we shall see at your taco stand tomorrow…COWARDS…

40. FUBAR March 13, 2009 at 11:24 pm #

Readers – while I mull over whether to leave the previous comment posted in order to show the extent of the problem, or ultimately choose to delete it to remove filth from my site, I think it’s clear that all constructive dialog is done for this post, so I’m closing the comments.