Ten Best Legislators List: Crossing Party Lines

If a certain monthly travel magazine can rate legislators, so can we. But our list has a twist, and while we can co-exist, we want an assist. Some of you will be pissed.

Here’s the deal: Republican consultant Ted Delisi and I are regular contributors on KXAN’s Sunday morning political show, “Session ’09: In Depth.” Since that partnership hasn’t seemed to result in any serious injuries so far, we thought another joint venture might be in order. Ted and I are going to work on a “ten best legislators” list together.

Here’s the catch: Ted, a Republican, has to pick 5 Democrats, and I, a Democrat, have to pick 5 Republicans. We will undoubtedly both have a tough time picking 5 of the opposite party we think are worth a damn.

We’ll post our results here next week. But today belongs to you. Lobby us in the comments section on who you think deserves a little cross-partisan lurve.

Comments

comments

13 Responses to Ten Best Legislators List: Crossing Party Lines

1. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm #

Representative Todd Smith is always thoughtful, balanced and sincere. Definitely should be on anyone’s hot list.

2. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 4:53 pm #

In the House Tommy Merritt, Kolkhorst, Todd Smith, Delwin Jones, Bryan Hughes, Burt Solomons, and Geren are possible contenders. If you have to name a Senator, I would say Carona for at least voting for keeping the 2/3rds rule. Deuell is another possibility. I don’t even want to hear Duncan as a candidate.

3. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 5:25 pm #

Carona and Deuell are my recs. Carona for bucking his own party to do right by his constituents and Deuell for doing the same to help save drug addicts’ lives. They are Republicans who care more about people than money. A rare breed indeed.

4. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 5:38 pm #

The lad from behind the Pine Curtain has proven to be a worthy successor to Gov. Ratliff and, should the R’s continue to hold statewide office, would make a fine lite guv himself. Sen. Eltife has done a good job of presiding over the Senate during the Dew’s frequent absences — much better than the current lite guv or the president pro tempore. If they have the sense to make good use of him, the R’s should salute Eltife as a genuine — and at least somewhat moderate — rising star.

5. dem oracle May 29, 2009 at 5:45 pm #

I see one commentator has been fooled by Todd Smith’s slick sincere act, oh my! Question is, are these supposed to be the five “best” Repub’s or five of the many nutty Repub’s who are best for Democrats – think Betty Brown, et al?

6. FUBAR May 29, 2009 at 5:51 pm #

Dem Oracle – while tempting, I don’t intend to pick Republicans who are good for Democrats, but rather the ones who are good for the state. Or at least those who are the least bad for the state. Well ok, I’ll settle for Republicans you would actually think about bothering to piss on to put out the fire. But I might consider an exception.

7. whiskeydent May 29, 2009 at 5:53 pm #

Jeeze Fub, your comments are starting to look like all the staffers posting for their bosses on Burpablog.

Anyways, here’s who I think you should pick on the R side:

Betty Brown for her defense against the Yellow Peril.

Sid Miller for the endless puns involving helicopters, hogs, rifles and redneck idiots.

Gary Elkins for only needing 14 years to learn what Medicaid is.

Tommy Williams for being a fat toad.

Steve Ogden for his leadership of the Flat Earth Caucus.

8. Mean Rachel May 29, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

Stephen Frost for relating everything to a football game.
    Steve Ogden for looking (and acting) like the evil principal from Scent of a Woman.
    Betty Brown for giving Ramey Ko twelve and a half hard-earned minutes.
    Patrick Rose for…oh, wait, he’s a Democrat?

9. Mean Rachel May 29, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

And if Delisi doesn’t name The Representative as one of his top five, I’m walking.

10. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

“Patrick Rose for…oh, wait, he’s a Democrat?”

Thanks for the reminder. It’s easy to forget he has a “D” next to his name.

11. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

Ok, is this a list where Harold says his favorite Republican is Wayne Christian and Delisi says his favorite Democrat is Dunnam?

If so, the explanations alone would be worth reading. . . .

12. Anonymous May 29, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

Coming from a moderate D:

Zerwas; Eissler; Branch; Diane Patrick; Chisum; Solomons. I can’t get to 10, but those are 6 R’s who have done a good job this session.

13. Anonymous May 30, 2009 at 12:10 am #

Best: Duncan – yeah, I saw you Anonymous 11:53/whateva, Carona, Duncan, Averitt, Duncan, Ellis; Eiland; Geren; Hamilton; Anchia

Worst: Williams, Patrick, Fraser, Williams, Patrick, Fraser, Crazy Z, Estes, Dutton