Debra Medina trashes Texas

I live within 500 yards of two election day precinct polling places, and about five blocks from one of the most popular early voting locations in Travis County, so it’s no surprise that by election day, my area is well-populated with political yard signs of all persuasions.

Since there were so many contested judicial races in Travis County this time, and since the nomination for Governor was contested in both parties’ primaries, this was a banner year for signs. Or is that a sign year for banners? Whatever, you get the point: my neighborhood was packed with yard signs.

But after the primary election, all the campaigns, both Republican and Democratic, were very good about going through the neighborhood and removing their signs. By 48 hours following the election, there wasn’t a yard sign to be found. Literally thousands of political signs had disappeared.

Except for one candidate: Debra Medina.

Debra Medina’s yard signs are still everywhere. Up and down Cherrywood Road. Scattered on 38 1/2 Street. A metric ton of them up and down Airport Blvd., for miles.

After tweeting about it, I got a reply from a Medina supporter a couple of days ago, asking me where the errant signs are. Although my first thought was “why does that matter – her campaign should be removing her signs wherever they are,” I meekly replied to her and explained where they are. Two days later, the signs are still there.

For the record, Debra, you’re trashing up East Austin. But if you’re still trashing up my area, I’m guessing you’re still trashing up many areas around Texas. What happened to that big enthusiasm your supporters claimed on your behalf?

Note to the City of Austin: it’s clear that the Medina-istas aren’t going to fulfill their legal obligations, so how’s about you taking a break from the important work of searching out the dastardly criminals who are texting while driving, and instead collect the Medina signs, then fine Medina for every one of ‘em you collect?

Comments

comments

15 Responses to Debra Medina trashes Texas

1. J3669 March 11, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I offered to assist even though I don’t live in Austin. I told you I was corresponding with someone about taking care of the issue, but you couldn’t wait to use this opportunity to trash Debra and all her supporters because one individual didn’t pick up the signs. If you are impatient and irritated, do what most of us would have done and pick up the signs and write an email to the campaign.

2. FUBAR March 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

Impatient? That’s a good one. The election was 9 days ago. Everybody else’s signs were gone by 7 days ago. I first tweeted about this 2 days ago. Picking up signs isn’t a protracted process, it’s a brief event. And sorry, the signs on Airport are in the middle of a very busy street, I’m not in the mood to risk my neck on behalf of a lame campaign that can’t take care of its own business. But have a spiffy day.

3. Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

wow, that is rich. Medina’s supporters want somebody else to do what they can do for themselves. In other words a handout. Aren’t they supposed to be against that sort of thing?

4. Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

They are all along I-20 as well.
    Hey Tea Party people – She lost, get over it. Clean up your mess!

5. Mean Rachel March 11, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Well put.
    Is this the sign pick up hotline? Because Farouk Shami signs are all over Southwest Austin, particularly a few large ones at the corner of Southwest Parkway and 71. Which is actually surprising considering the fact that some bigot kept tearing them down when the election was actually going on.

6. FUBAR March 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Come on people – take care of your business. And if they don’t, just FYI, used 4×8 coreplast highway signs make great free materials to build deer blinds with, so hunters, if these campaigns can’t muster it up to take care of their own business, how ’bout a little Texas-style recycling??

7. Anonymous March 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

gay

8. Gary March 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

It is illegal to place signs on any public property. Signs must also be removed within 10 days after an election.

9. Anonymous March 12, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

kays signs are still at polling locations in collin co. plus others as well.

10. whiskeydent March 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

Who is this guy STOP? What is he or she running for? His or her freakin’ signs are everywhere, and almost everybody comes to a halt just to look at them. Really pisses me off.

11. FUBAR March 13, 2010 at 9:53 am #

I thought about voting for
    Stop. I decided to vote instead for Frontage Road. Mr Road seems to have his signs in the high traffic areas so I bet he wins.

12. njb March 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

It is not just in Austin, I’m in Blue Hell (Deer Park) and huge banners for her are still everywhere.

The supporters are either really enthusiastic or clueless. Hrm..sounds like Congress.

13. Anonymous March 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

I guess it just depends on the area. Tarrant Co. still has plenty of signs for multiple candidates – including Kay.(The reason you don’t see any Perry signs is because there never were any Perry signs to begin with. His entire campaign was based on TV).

14. WUSRPH March 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm #

She nullified the city ordinance and any and all similar State of Federal requirements as a violation of her constitutional right to read the laws any damn way she wants.. Only a Socialst, Facist, Communist would complain.

15. WUSRPH March 17, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

Why didn’t your thing pick up my spelling corrections?

She probably nullified the city ordinance and any and all similar State of Federal requirements as a violation of her constitutional right to read the laws any damn way she wants. She figured only a Socialist, Fascist, Communist fan of Obama would complain.