In which Rick Perry shoots stuff

Damn it, governors always get all the cool toys.

As was reported yesterday, Rick Perry shot a coyote while jogging back in February. As any rancher in my little piece of heaven will tell you, one shot coyote is barely a good start. Texans shoot coyotes every day, so the only thing that makes this news is that a governor bagged one.

The main reason I don’t have a concealed weapon permit is that even if I went to the time and trouble to get the permit, I’d still be too lazy to carry. Handguns, even the ultra-compacts, tend to be heavy and bulky. But still, once you get where you’re going, it’s fun to plink at some cans sometimes.

But when I got to looking at the small print of the “Perry shoots a varmint” stories, I saw where he was carrying a Ruger .380 with laser sights. Not knowing much about Ruger .380’s I googled it, and it turns out to be a pretty cool deal. Weighing in at just 9.4 ounces, it’s much lighter than the lightest gun I ever owned.

The gun is so compact that you’d pretty much need laser sights to hit the broad side of a barn. Plus, laser sights are just cool anyway, as anyone who has ever watched any action-adventure movie will attest.

Why do I bother to bring any of this up? Several reasons…

1. A Texas governor shooting a coyote is just fundamentally interesting.

2. I like disappointing Republicans who assume that Democrats are anti-gun, or pro-coyote.

3. I like pissing off PETA, which as you know, stands for “People Eating Tasty Animals.”

4. I’m secretly hoping somebody will buy me a Ruger .380 with laser sights. There are only 237 more shopping days ’til Christmas.

Comments

comments

7 Responses to In which Rick Perry shoots stuff

1. whiskeydent April 28, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Is there any truth to the rumor that Perry’s puppy is a poodle?

2. Anonymous April 28, 2010 at 8:38 pm #

if you have skill you can shoot a.380 well the laser sights dont help if you flinch when u pull the trigger

3. FUBAR April 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm #

Anonymous (if that is indeed your real name): if you have skill, you can shoot just about any target with just about any gun.

But the smaller the gun, the shorter the gun barrel. The shorter the gun barrel, the shorter the sight radius. The shorter the sight radius, the more difficult it is to accurately sight your target in a real-world situation, especially at any distance. Thus, a laser system is clearly an advantage (until the battery runs out!).

Also, you bring up a good point – the lighter the gun, the more likely you will lose the target with the trigger pulling motion. But there’s no question that a laser sight would help with the sight radius issue. Nothing will help with the flinching issue, except an ultra-light trigger pull adjusted by a skilled gunsmith – which I would not recommend on a concealed weapon used for jogging.

The bottom line, however, is that I have my serious doubts as to whether the incident happened at all, or if so, if it happened as Perry reported it. It sounds like a bar story to me. It’s a bit convenient that there were no apparent witnesses.

4. Bobby Gene April 29, 2010 at 4:53 am #

he said that he carries the gun with him on these runs because he is afraid of snakes. okay, fair enough. there are only three things wrong with this story (and that’s what it is- a story).

1. are snakes really a big problem in February? 2. it would be damn near impossible for a person who is that afraid of snakes (enough to carry a gun) to get close enough to hit a target as small as a snake…even with laser sights.
    3. when has anyone ever known ricky to go ANYWHERE without his security detail? and if he did, wouldn’t they come running once they heard gunshots?

this is a total fabrication that allows perry to pander to the gun crowd. this story is so full of shit that it’s funny. a .380 to shoot snakes. please. stop it. really.

5. casey April 29, 2010 at 5:13 pm #

I heard it wasn’t a coyote at all, but rather a rabid Pomeranian…and it wasn’t threatening anything. Perry was just pissed b/c it had a nicer hairdo than he.

6. Bobby Gene April 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm #

i own a pom. and you might be right.

7. Will Ikard April 30, 2010 at 1:19 am #

Ruger had me at “Massachusetts approved: No.”