Buzz from the TV show – General Ricardo Sanchez

Funny thing happened on the TV show on YNN last Thursday night. I was asked a question about General Ricardo Sanchez considering a run for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate seat in 2012. I answered the question, and moved on.

But after leaving the studio and switching my phone off silent mode, I found many (as in, more than ten) text messages from random friends and acquaintances, every one of whom had a positive reaction to my answer to that question. I’ve never gotten a response like that from anything ever discussed on any episode of the show all session long, so I was a bit surprised.

So,  let’s have an open discussion in the comments section. Do you agree with my answer? Do you think I was too hard on General Sanchez? Let me know that too, I’d love to hear your views. And if you are General Sanchez, I’m guessing YNN would love to have you as a guest on the show.

You can watch the entire episode here, as well as all past episodes. Capital Tonight airs live on Thursdays at 6 pm on YNN, if you’re in the Austin area. We do get into all sorts of interesting stuff, so give it a try!

Comments

comments

7 Responses to Buzz from the TV show – General Ricardo Sanchez

1. Anonymous May 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

I have no idea who General Sanchez is either. How is he on the stump? Can he connect with Latinos authentically? Will he run on Democratic values or treat them like a red-headed stepsister?

I feel like this is another case of DC Dems thinking that a military general, who is linked to Abu Ghraib scandal, with a Latino last name is somehow a magic cure for Texas. Why didn’t they recruit from local Latino politicians here? Why not look to Latinos in the medical field and in academia?

2. Susan May 16, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

A few of my friends in South Texas have heard of him and even heard him speak, but cannot tell me even one thing he believes in. So, I agree with your comments, Harold.

Your tie, on the other hand, is gosh-awful. I think you should run a poll on that.

3. Al Stanley May 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

Excerpt from the Gen. Sanchez’s book: “When asked by a reporter what I thought of the ACLU, I responded that they were, ‘a bunch of sensationalist liars, I mean lawyers …’ I was deeply angry at the time.”

I’m not balking at Sanchez criticizing the ACLU, but he could have stated his case without the hackneyed “liars (oops) I mean lawyers” slur that too many mistake for wit.

4. Mean Rachel May 17, 2011 at 3:23 am #

Well said, HC. He needs to talk to everybody and he hasn’t talked to anybody. That’s a lot of ground to make up.
    But I think the real question Texas Democrats should be asking is why we aren’t focusing in on people who HAVE talked to everybody, or at least millions of people across the state? Are we going to ante up any other viable candidates or is this Schieffer < White Round II?

p.s. I don’t mind the tie but I still want to see the one I gave you make a primetime appearance somewhere other than my sister’s wedding. kthanxbye.

5. FUBAR May 17, 2011 at 3:46 am #

ok, damn it, I’m weighing in here, on the giant Tie Scandal of 2011 -

Susan, you have a lot of nerve weighing in on the tie, seeing as how you run the world’s most rednecky beauty salon. Back off, sista. When they say “tie” in your neck of the woods, people who can’t spell any better tend to run down to the strip shopping mall restaurant to order Soup A, with a side of “one ton soup” and 2 spring rolls.

And Mean Rachel, I was leaving this as a surprise, but you leave me little choice but to tell you that I’ve been saving that tie for the sine die show, during which nobody in the Capitol will have anything better to do than to watch me pontificate in a red tie with little blue donkeys. And granted, that tie may well be the most tasteful one I own, thanks to you.

And to everybody else: yeah, I like ties nobody else likes. But I like those ties. And those ties prevent me from having to go shopping, which I hate to do more than you can possibly hate my ties.

…but I’m not defensive.

6. Susan May 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

So, you’re sayin’ I should scratch “Tie Maven” off my resume? That doesn’t leave much on there, you know.

Do you really have a donkey tie? That, my friend, is very cool.

On the upside of running Gen. Sanchez: not many reporters in Texas can spell Abu Ghraib and none of the tv commentators can pronounce it. That would be a point in our favor.

7. Perry Dorrell, aka PDiddie May 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm #

While I would have preferred if you had mentioned that there is a not-inconsequential number of primary-voting Democrats that wouldn’t support Sanchez no matter what because of his role at Abu Ghraib … thank you for precisely identifying the DC-Texas insider/grassroots disconnect. Is anyone from either direction doing any outreach on that behind the scenes, BTW?