One small step for man; one giant leap for Domingo Garcia

So, did you like what the President did last week, when he issued the Executive Order to stop deportation of Dream Act kids? Yeah, I did too, in a big way.

But did you know that the whole thing was Domingo Garcia’s idea? Yeah, I didn’t either.

But Garcia didn’t waste any time claiming it was all his doing. It’s my guess that anybody who has the President’s ear on such matters wouldn’t be the sort to immediately take credit for stuff, if that person wants the President’s ear ever again.

Domingo Garcia

Forgive me if I’m a bit skeptical that the President of the United States wasn’t really quite sure what to do about a serious national issue until he got a call about it from a former state representative in Texas. I’m sure it’s just coincidence that this former state representative also happens to be running for U.S. Congress at the moment, and is currently behind the 8-ball looking for extra votes in a Democratic run-off election. No, that couldn’t have had anything to do with him taking credit for Obama’s fine work.

But if so, why stop there? I think Mr. Garcia is thinking too small.

I think Garcia should issue a press release reminding voters that he was the one who urged President Reagan to tell Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.

I thought it was particularly clever of Garcia to slip Jonas Salk the cure for polio. It’s a travesty of justice that he didn’t get the proper credit for it.

And thank goodness Garcia had the wisdom to give all those tips to SEAL Team 6, or Osama bin Laden would probably still be alive today.

And how about when Garcia whispered in John Kennedy’s ear that Americans should be first on the moon? How in the world did Kennedy apologists get away with crediting Kennedy with that stroke of genius?

Personally, I’ll be glad when this Congressional race is over. Maybe then Garcia will have the time to let us all in on the secret of why Stonehenge was built, where they hid Jimmy Hoffa’s body, and what’s up with that scary Mayan calendar thing. Plus, he’s still got that whole “curing cancer” thing ahead of him.

Comments

comments

9 Responses to One small step for man; one giant leap for Domingo Garcia

1. Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Texas Monthly had it right in 2001 when it named Domingo Garcia one of the ten *worst* legislators.

2. Anonymous June 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Come on Harold, this is a cheap shot, that’s like attacking Gore for claiming he invented the internet. That’s not what Gore said nor is this what Domingo said. Doming has walked the walk on this issue. Domingo was part of the chorus putting this idea on the President’s agenda and that’s all he was saying.

3. Harold Cook June 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm #

So you’re saying Domingo Garcia invented the internet, right? Got it.

4. Andy Hall June 19, 2012 at 1:18 am #

Oh, come on, Anonymous @ June 18, 2012 3:11 PM — he issued a press release touting the president’s assurance that “I heard you.” Puh-leeze.

Seriously, Cook’s right — the people who actually do have the president’s ear don’t go around issuing press releases about it.

5. Harold Cook June 19, 2012 at 1:23 am #

Andy – thank you. And, while this is complete conjecture on my part…and I’d be more than happy to take it back if events prove me wrong…I think we should at least consider the possibility that this dude’s real name isn’t “Anonymous.”

6. Anonymous June 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

That is pretty lame. Domingo is a good guy, good Democrat and his wife is also a great elected official. I will never forgive the former Frosties pack for their shitty attacks on another good Democrat in a primary. I laugh when I get anything from Martin Frost in support of Veasy because Frost was the coldest fish congressman. Granted he voted the way I liked but the guy had the worst bed side manner ever. I cringe every time I see him. I’m voting for Domingo and taking a bunch of people with me.

7. Harold Cook June 19, 2012 at 10:35 pm #

I don’t doubt Domingo is a good guy. I don’t know him, but I’m happy to take your word for it. But I also have no doubt that his press release was a dumb release. Which is why I snarked about the release, and not the character of the man. So happy voting.

(and, thanks for voting, by the way – I have a nasty feeling that the Democratic Primary runoff will be a low-turnout affair, at least in general across the state)

8. SP in NS June 19, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

Whether or not Domingo Garcia is a good guy is debatable, because I don’t think he is. He’s done some pretty underhanded things to other Democrats over the years and we can’t trust him. Yes, I want more Latinos from Texas in Congress, but we just can’t send in just ANY clown with a bigote. Domingo Garcia is not to be trusted.

9. Son of Texas June 20, 2012 at 2:14 am #