Regular readers of this space already know that I spent my entire weekend fighting against the incompetence of 1-800-flowers, complete with a cameo appearance of incompetence by their competitor Pro Flowers/FloristExpress.
By Sunday morning, I thought the matter was as settled as it was going to get (without any flowers being delivered), when out of the blue I received a Twitter DM from a customer service rep from 1-800-flowers, with a brand new offer reversing earlier decisions made by them. Now, suddenly, they wanted to issue me a full refund (which they’d already done), credit me $50 on my next order (up from the previously-offered $25, which I will never use because that would actually entail me utilizing their “services” again, but whatever), and – here’s the big change – deliver the flowers at no charge. So, the thing they’d been unable to do as scheduled on Friday, then refused to do on Saturday, they by Sunday were asking me to allow them to do on Monday. All they really wanted to know was if Monday was a good day to deliver them.
The recipient was scheduled to be out much of Monday, so I asked them to deliver the flowers late in the business day, and if the recipient wasn’t home, to leave them on her doorstep. The customer service rep agreed, and also committed that she would personally contact me as soon as she had spoken with the local florist, and would report back to me the specific time the flowers were scheduled for delivery as soon as she knew it.
So being me, I once again lit up Facebook and my Twitter feed with vitriol against this shady operation, and once again scores of others once again began re-tweeting, cussing, discussing, and adding their own 1-800-flowers horror stories. This time, uncharacteristically, the crisis management team at the company was non-responsive, ignoring the whole thing. It was as if they were busy doing something else.
Turns out they were indeed busy – scrambling to cover their tracks, stop the social media bleeding, and deliver the flowers, because like magic, at 7:15 pm, the flowers arrived.
So, to review, it only took four extra days, scores of emails, countless Twitter direct messages, one very well-read blog post, and undoubtedly thousands in lost revenue due to bad publicity about this company on this blog, Twitter, and Facebook, for 1-800-flowers to finally accomplish their core business service.
And that’s how I spent my entire weekend.
[thanks to Sondra, whose Facebook comment was stolen fair and square for the headline]